Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Rimfire suppressor or adult air rfie? A breakdown with a question ...

Been back and forth on this for several months now. I wanted to post here since most here seem to think like me, but should have more experience or different points of view. It will be long winded, so patient and info is appreciated.

I have the basis for either choice, meaning I have a rimfire, and I have an air rifle that is $100 plus air source away from being HPA (High Pressure Air, a subset of PCP, precharged pneumatic). The government registration for buying a suppressor bothers me. I won't get into specifics, just not a fan of it. So it seems to be the biggest detractor for me. It would also require a trust for the place that I currently have my permanent residence. That leaves room for more issues with an older father, pilot brother, and Japanese national wife. Seems a bit troublesome.

The air rifle conversion ($100 tank and regulator, plus stock "massaging"), is very simple but it looks a little too menacing with an LDC, synthetic stock and scope. I would want to step up to a less menacing rifle which would look like an over/under with a scope.($400-650)

The big picture. Living in Texas doesn't leave a lot of places to hunt. This means smaller calibers. I enjoy watching small game videos on Youtube, as well as shooting house sparrows at my grandmother's house. Don't know where I can even shoot after she passes

The facts
Air rifle – cheaper ammo, less range, less noise, most PCPs have good accuracy out to 75-100+ yards, not a federal firearm, can be filled by nitrogen or compressed air

Rimfire – More expensive for good ammo, more range, little to much more noise, accurate out to 100+, federal firearm, and hushing it will require federal paperwork and a name in a list, as well as following rules if moving or crossing state lines, etc.

Last, to bring the cost factors into focus for those that may not know, I will price out either way, and include 10K rounds of what most say is "good" ammo.

Rimfire - threading is $50 from the neighbor's lathe. Paperwork was supposed to be about $200-300, $200 for the stamp. $250 to $500 for the can $520 for 10K of CCI Standard Velocity.
$50 threading
$200 trust
$200 stamp
$250-500 can
$520 ammo
$1220-1470
10/22 would need some trigger and internal parts to be considered similar in trigger pull to most air rifles.
Pre-charged pneumatic or High Pressure Air. Cheapest route would be a $100 22ci tank with regulator for a HPA RWS 850. Gun was about $300. New PCP would be $400-660 new, minus 15% for used. Shoebox compressor is a 3000 or 4500 psi air compressor. Fittings, hoses, and gauges would be about $200

$100 for HPA conversion
Shoebox $549 plus shipping
$255 for 10K of JSB Exact Jumbo
$200 for misc
$1105 plus guppy tank and fittings
Or sell current air rifle for $250 and buy a PCP for $500 and add $250 to the total.
Compressor can be reduced by visiting a welding supply shop to rent a 6000psi nitrogen bottle, or buying a tank and having it filled at a paintball or dive shop, or a police station. I included to the compressor so that the comparison was self sufficient.

As you can see, the numbers are pretty close. After having read all of this, first let me say thank you for sticking around, next, let me ask, if you were in my shoes, which route would you take. Please include why, I am all ears.





ifttt puts the internet to work for you. via task 504551

0 comments:

Post a Comment